Fascinating facts about cats
Cats are known to be very interesting creatures and even more compelling pets. The more information you gather about your pet, the more fascinating you’ll find your cat to be. Read on for a bunch of fascinating facts about cats, brought to you by 3a2ilati.
- Most adult cats are lactose intolerant.
- Cats’ adult teeth appear between 12 and 18 weeks of age.
- Cats become very hyper in the early morning and in the evening, which are the times their hunting instinct peaks.
- Cats are unable to taste sweet food as they’ve got fewer taste buds than humans.
- Cats have excellent night vision. It is so powerful that they need only one-sixth the amount of light that humans need to be able to see properly.
- Cats have 517 muscles and are able to move the upper and lower parts of their body in opposite directions, at once.
- A cat’s skeleton consists of 244 bones, 20 of each make up the tail, endowing it with flexibility.
- Only domestic cats can walk in a pacing gait fashion with their tail sticking straight up.
- Cats utilize their scent glands — located around the mouth, chin, forehead, cheeks, lower back, tail and paws. When a cat rubs her head or bumps it against something, she’s probably depositing scents to make humans and inanimate objects easier to recognize in the future.
- A cat’s tongue is covered with small growths akin to hair (called papillae), which help her better lick her fur and groom it.
- Cats don’t have sweat glands over their bodies like humans do. Cats do, however, sweat through their claws.
- A cat’s lifespan ranges between 12 and 15 years.
- Cats manage to keep their energy levels up by getting between 13 and 14 hours of sleep per day.
- There are around 500 million domesticated cats in the world.
- Owning a cat could reduce your risk of a heart attack by nearly one-third.
- Meowing is one of the ways cats communicate with humans.
- Cats have relatively lower social intelligence compared to dogs, unlike their cognitive abilities, which are usually impressive.
- Studies prove that cats are inclined to pick up on human emotions and exhibit sympathy.
- A cat has 5 toes on her front paws and 4 on the back ones.
- Every cat has a unique pattern of bumps and ridges, making up a “nose print”, just like humans’ fingerprints.
- Cats are some of the most intelligent and interactive domesticated animals. Did you know a nutritious diet could increase your cat’s mental aptitudes? Choose Purina, made with real, high-quality ingredients and carefully blended with supreme protein sources and essential nutrients that support balanced nutrition, promote lifelong whole body health, and satisfy your cat.